When most people think of morning, they think of tiredness, having to leave their warm bed, and the start of a new, dreary day. Thinking like this doesn’t make it easy to get up in the early hours. However, morning-time is a good opportunity to focus on your well-being, can be a great start to your day, and is often extremely beautiful! Hopefully these 7 tips will make your mornings a bit brighter and help start your day off right.
- Make your bed. This is probably the last thing you want to do right when you wake up, but some studies show that making your bed makes you happier and more productive, among other benefits. I’ve found that simply straightening my covers makes me more productive because I’m less likely to climb back under the sheets and ask for five more minutes. Making the bed gives a signal that sleep-time is over, and the day has begun. If you need some more motivation to fold the blankets and fluff the pillow, here’s a great speech by Navy Admiral William McRaven on why you should make your bed.
- Do something immediately after you wake up. For me, this is going to the bathroom. I know it may seem like an odd habit, but it gets me out of bed, doesn’t require any brain power, and gives me a few minutes to wake up. Whether it’s going to the bathroom, taking a drink of water, turning on a lamp, or letting the dog out, a morning habit will get you out of bed and prevent you from convincing yourself you need a few more minutes and pressing the snooze button.
- Eat breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and provides you with the energy to get your day going. As someone who loves food, I look forward to my breakfast of a granola bar and soy milk because I know it’s giving my body healthy fuel to get me through my daily activities. Also, it’s just another opportunity to consume yummy foods! If you need some ideas for quick, healthy, or yummy breakfast options, head over to Pinterest which has thousands of great recipes!
- Use scented products. Whether it’s the soap for you shower, lotion, perfume, etc., I’ve found that a fresh scent is great for waking up my brain. One of my favorite scents is apple, and I have recently been loving my grapefruit body wash. If you’re looking for a new and refreshing scent, check out this link which details 11 scents that are beneficial for our well-being.
- Drink water! This one is super important! Staying hydrated throughout the day is crucial for your health, and drinking water in the morning has its own benefits. It can boost your metabolism and help you lose weight, make you skin glow more, and even possibly cure illness. Sounds good, right? Bottoms up!
- Have something you look forward to. This is kind of similar to #2, but instead of a simple habit to get you out of bed, this is an activity to check off your daily to-do list. For me, this is going to the gym. Exercising is something I try to do every day, and doing it in the morning allows me to check it off early, and I always feel better throughout the rest of my day. A tip for maintaining your activity: get an accountability partner! My sister comes to the gym with me, and knowing that she’s waiting is often what gets me out of bed.
- Get some sunshine! I don’t know about the rest of the world, but when I get some rays in the morning, it makes me want to jump out of bed. Sunshine has plenty of health benefits, so whether you want to feel happier, be more productive, or give your body a boost, go grab some sun (but not too much!).
Feeling more motivated to wake up and enjoy the morning? I am! Recently, a few of my friends and I woke up at 5am to watch the sunrise on a mountaintop nearby. It was the perfect morning with no clouds in sight and a slight mist between the mountains. For over an hour the sun was absolutely stunning, and we took a bunch of fun photos. It’s an experience I hope everyone has in their lifetime, and it’s a memory I’ll treasure forever.
*This post is not sponsored, and all opinions are my own!*